Fact: I drink a lot of green smoothies. What’s weird though is, despite the fact that the green smoothie is trending, a lot of people I know are still repulsed by the idea of drinking something this green!
So what’s the secret to a “good” green smoothie? Balancing your flavours for maximum nutritional value without needing to add sweeteners (natural or otherwise)! I’ve been perfecting this water-based green smoothie which is an awesome breakfast drink to start the day or for a healthy snack. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Most days I make about a litre of this smoothie and sip on it throughout the morning. While there are a lot of greens in this smoothie, make sure you add lime to alkalise the bitter taste of greens. Ginger and mint are also great to balance out the flavour.
Makes approx. 1 litre smoothie
- 1 X cucumber (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 1 X banana (frozen, peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 X cup frozen mango pieces
- 1/2 X avocado
- 1 X big handful baby spinach
- 1 X kale leaf (stem removed)
- 1 X handful mint leaves
- 1 X lime (peeled and quartered. If using a less strong blender you can juice this!)
- 1 X cm piece ginger (grated or chopped finely)
- 1 X tsp coconut oil
- 1 X pinch pink Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 X cups iced water
Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Feel free to add any superfoods that you enjoy. I personally like to add 1 X tsp coconut probiotic powder and 1/2 X tsp of spirulina powder. Spirulina power has a quite strong taste so add gradually if you can handle it!
What’s your ideal green smoothie?